Sudan Agreement 2019

Al Jazeera`s Hiba Morgan said in Khartoum that there were mixed reactions to the agreement. News of the deal would have triggered hectic street parties. Mr. JONATHAN R. COHEN (United States), encouraged by the signing of the declaration, said that the pioneering agreement was a positive development that would bring peace and security to Sudan and stressed the importance of its implementation. UNAMID needs access to all areas, he said, expressing concern about the lack of cooperation to ensure access. He also said that his delegation was awaiting full information on the recent clashes and stressed that perpetrators of violence against civilians should be held accountable. For its part, the United States will continue to support the government in all its efforts to protect, among other things, the civilian population. Jean-Pierre LACROIX, Deputy Secretary General for Peace Operations, spoke by video conference from Paris and said that important developments had taken place in Sudan since its last briefing on 14 June. On 17 August, the Military Council of the Transitional Council and the Armed Forces for Freedom and Change signed transitional agreements for the next 39 months, he said, adding that a sovereignty council, consisting of five military and six civilians, including two women, had been sworn in on 21 August.

Abdel Fattah al-Burhan felt that the presidency of the body had been dissolved, that the military transfer council had been dissolved and that Abdallah Hamdouk, an economist and veteran of the United Nations, had become prime minister, he said, adding that a cabinet should be sworn in by 1 September. The transitional arrangements include a commitment to end all outstanding conflicts in Sudan, which could bring long-term stability to Darfur and other marginalized regions. Talks are expected to take place between the new government and various armed groups, including the Sudan Revolutionary Front, which includes some groups in Darfur, he said. When the talks failed, Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed flew to Sudan to try to negotiate a new deal. When news of the agreement was announced, people gathered on the Nilestrasse, a main street in the capital Khartoum, with car horns honking and howling in celebrations. One of the points that remained undecided was the fate of the Rapid Support Forces, a paramilitary force led by the powerful General Hamdan. Under the agreement signed on Sunday, the armed forces are monitored directly by the Sudanese army. The pioneering agreement signed on Saturday in the capital Khartoum came after lengthy negotiations after the fall of long-time president Omar al-Bashir following mass protests.

The constitutional declaration[10][11] was signed on 4 August 2019 by Ahmed Rabee for the FFC and Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, Deputy Director of the TMC, in the presence of Ethiopian mediators and the African Union. Full ratification was scheduled for August 17, 2019. [12] First, the Khartoum Star and the Sudan Daily proposed to swear that Nemat Abdullah Khair be sworn in as head of justice on 20 August[52] or 21 August 2019. [53] On October 10, 2019, their appointment was confirmed by decree. [54] Article 29 (3) finds that the head of justice is also the President of the Supreme Court and is “responsible for the management of the judicial authority before the Higher Council of Justice.” [11] [10] The agreement was described on 5 July as a “transparent and independent investigation” into the events following the 2019 Sudanese coup, including the Khartoum massacre. [18] On July 8, the Associated Press called the investigation “Sudanese.” [45] The written political agreement of 17 July stated that the Commission of Inquiry “may, if necessary, seek any assistance to Africa.” [5] Sudanese military leaders have agreed with the opposition alliance to share power until the elections are absent, mediators say.